Thursday, October 11, 2007

Running on Positive

I've been trying to get personal interviews with my honored teammates for this blog. Some of my teammates I know personally, others are friends/family of my friends and family. Sibil, one of my earliest donors to this run, asked me to run for her friend Bevin. In early September, I sent him a list of questions for the interview. Since most of us have schedule driven lives, I thought it would be easier for people to answer questions via email, then in-person or on the phone. I never received a response. Lask week, in my facebook inbox, I received this email from Sibil:
Hey Chai!

how are you? i hope you're doing well. i was wondering if you ever heard from bevin? i just saw an email today from my church youth fellowship asking us to keep bevin in prayer b/c he's back in the hospital. It seems his cancer came back and I am hearing he might need a bone marrow transplant. Hopefully his sisters test as a positive match. Details are sketchy right now, I want to speak to some closer, reliable sources that know exactly what is going on. But please keep him in your prayers and if he's MIA with answering back, you'll know why.

It's definitely disheartening to hear this news. Especially since lately I have seen him looking so heathly and happy and just living his life to the fullest.

Anyway, just wanted to drop you a line and let you know.

Sibil

My heart slowed down. Here I was thinking that he was too busy/didn't care/forgot about the questionnaire. In reality, he was someplace else, dealing with the cancer demon. Although it is very unfortunate that the cancer came back, Bevin has inspired me to run farther, faster, and better. And he has inspired me to continue raising money. There still is NO cure.

If you are in New York City this week, here are two events happening for him:
Swab 4 Bevin
Please come out and support on Thursday, Oct.11th at BAR 13 35 E 13th Street (6:30-9:30 p.m.)

OR

Saturday, Oct.13th
KATWALK
2 West 35th Street (Btwn 5th & 6th Ave)
New York. NY 10001
(6-9 p.m.)

Our friend Bevin Varughese was diagnosed with ALL(Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) in January 2004. He has been undergoing treatment since January 2004 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Bevin won the fight and was in remission for about nine months.

In Mid-September 2007 Bevin's cancer had returned. He urgently needs a bone marrow transplant. His family and friends, have begun a nationwide effort to find Bevin a match. We are trying to reach as many South Asians as possible and get them registered at one of our drives.

South Asians are sadly underrepresented in the National Bone Marrow Registry. Our goal is to change that. A Caucasian seeking a match in the registry averages 15 hits; where a South Asian matches 1 or 0. You can change that statistic.

How You Can Help:

YOU - through a simple cheek swab - could be that miracle match for Bevin, or for someone else needing a bone marrow match.

• Please come out and register at one of our upcoming drives. All it takes is a few minutes of your time

Please add Live Strong Bevin as your Facebook friend to stay updated on latest news and events!

www.swab4bevin.com (coming soon!)

1 comment:

Scorps1027 said...

Thank YOU, chai!

Thank you for running, thank you for inspiring, thank you for not just talking the talk but walking the walk. When i first donated to this cause, I did so because I was moved that someone was doing something so personal and yet so difficult as running a marathon. Sculpting and training one's body to run a marathon is no easy feat and to do it for such a selfless cause was just so awe-inspiring. I never dreamt that this cause or your race would become all that more meaningful to me now that Bevin needs a bone marrow match, but it has. And it makes what you are running for all that more REAL and all that more personal!