Friday, October 12, 2007

If you have been living under a rock, you may not know about Vinay. Over the past summer, thousands of South Asians gave their spit and registered in the South Asian Marrow Association of Recruiters database. You can read more about Vinay over here. Not only did his positivity and love inspire me, but so did his family and friends' love. I contacted Priya, Vinay's wife, back in June to do an interview. Before I knew it, it was September and I had yet to fulfill my promise. After a few emails back and forth, Bharath, Vinay's older brother, helped me out by gladly accepting the invitation for the interview.


Chai: Describe your relationship with Vinay.
Bharath: Vinay is my younger brother… but more than that he’s a part of my inner being.

C: What's a funny story of you and Vinay that highlights your personalities?
B: Once when Vinay and I were working with our computer he wanted to delete a certain file to free up hard drive space. But accidentally he deleted the WHOLE hard drive. The computer asked 3 times, “are you sure you want to delete the drive?” and Vinay answered “Yes." “Are you really sure you want to delete the drive?” Again he answered, “Yes." And after the final warning he zapped the whole hard drive. Of course he didn’t tell anyone until I stumbled upon an empty drive and a nonfunctional computer a few days later. Hilarious!

C: When you heard your brother's diagnosis, what were the first thoughts that went through your head?
B: I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that a person that looked so strong, healthy and has led a disciplined life could have such a devastating diagnosis. I wished I could be the one in his place...

C: After Vinay was diagnosed, what type of support did you & your family receive from the hospital? What mental health support did your family receive?

B: Our family was extremely fortunate in that it is large and very very tight. So most of our social and moral support came from within... That being said, the hospital staff was extremely attentive and the nurses are really what run the show. Vinay was blessed to have wonderful nurses during his hospitalizations and they treated him as if he were their own family member. One nurse, Judy, had the most soothing demeanor, even during the most stressful of periods. I couldn't help but wish that all nurses were just like her.

C: The South Asian marrow drives have been a great success. How did you galvanize the South Asian American community to get involved in Vinay's plight?

B: Without the help of all of our family, friends and extended community, we would not have accomplished as much as we did. We had very strong leadership and many talented individuals who had immediate skills to help create an atmosphere of success.

C: What life lessons have you learned from Vinay and this ordeal that can educate the readers?
B: Some of the life lessons are very cliché. Life is precious, and live every moment. They are very very true. I think we seem to be reminded by it every once in a while. I read once that you shouldn’t sweat the small stuff… and life is all about the small stuff.


C: Do you think what your brother went through has changed your view on dealing with patients in your own medical practice?
B: I seem to feel a bit more connected in assisting younger patients who are diagnosed w/ life threatening illnesses and I think a small part of me does a bit extra for those diagnosed with cancer.

C: Now that you have community involvement underneath your belt, what are your next steps in continuing to make sure we get the word about blood cancers in the South Asian community?
B: Well sustainability is one of the ultimate goals of TEAM VINAY. We’re already very happy about creating a desi website on NMDP.org and in implementing a cultural competent call back protocol for those volunteers who are possible matches. There is also a concerted movement to assist in the creation of an Indian national marrow program.

C: Have you ever ran a marathon? If so, what advice do you have for me? If not, can I convince you to train for one of the Leukeumia and Lymphoma Society's runs?
B: I ran the Boston marathon a while back, as a pirate runner. When you feel like stopping and can’t go any further, think off all the cancer patients and what they’ve been through and how you wouldn’t want them to quit.

C: Um, what is a pirate runner? Like you got dressed up?
B: A pirate runner is a non-registered runner. I didn't have an official number and didn't have to qualify/raise money.

C: I'm sure your brother will credit you with his positive attitude. How did you remain positive and reassuring through these hard times?
B: I reserved my ” personal moments” with my wife Sonia. Confidence and calm attitude can be very contagious so I do my best to be encouraging through the ups and downs. Having a transplant is a marathon. It’s not a 50-yard dash, so you have to pace yourself and keep moving forward at a steady pace.

C: Finally, for some runners who run with i-Pods, what is your favorite song/band/rap right now and why?
B: My favorite running album is “Ten” from Pearl Jam. Just a real shot in the arm w/ all those guitar sets.

1 comment:

Bengali Chick said...

You know I HATE running but, Ten is also my favorite album to run too! You're doing an awesome thing Chai!