Wednesday, May 23, 2007

cross training

I am so sore from yesterday's cross training. Cross training meant running 8 minutes, then doing squats, lounges, and quad exercises. After three sets of this (3 runs, 3 squats/lounges/quads), the coaches made us do "core" exercises. Core exercises are strengthening your core (i.e., your tummy). My stomach has NEVER hurt that much before. They were the hardest, yet best exercises ever.

Strength training is a key component to training for a marathon. It reduces injuries, builds your muscles, and keeps you fit. Learning these different types of exercises will help me on my days off from running. As I previously mentioned, our training schedule builds in at least two days of cross training, which should include strength training. This is easily found in yoga, pilates, kick boxing, etc. But, even if you can't make the yoga class, now the coaches have taught you exercises you can do in your living room.

In other news, I couldn't get up at 6A to run, unlike Monday. I will either do it tonight or tomorrow. Compassion towards myself and the life changes I am instituting, right?

No comments: