Monday, October 1, 2007

home stretch...

Sorry for not updating this blog in the past two weeks. I have been really busy a) at work, b) in the park running, and/or c) entertaining the slew of friends/family that are coming through new york right now.

I have a lot to highlight and moments to share:
  • I ran in my first 1/2 marathon race! It took place in Queens (one of the five boroughs of NYC) and it was a great run. Although many of my teammates complained about the turns and hills, I didn't care much because I was on a high that I was running. The week before this race, I did not run due to an illness (the common cold/flu). My time? 2:08. The distance? 13.1 miles. Here are some pics:

sprinting towards the finish..sprinting towards the finish line

after crossing the line! YEAH!

after running 13.1 miles... After running 13.1m, I'm still smiling...

  • I ran my second 20 miler. Again, it was hell. But unlike the first time, I was running in a National Park in New Jersey. Running on gravel/dirt vs. asphalt is QUITE different, especially for my weak hips. I was on the verge of tears near mile 18. I stopped and walked and kept saying how this is hell. Towards the end, two of my teammates who were behind me said, "Keep moving those feet, you'll get there." Grudingly I did move my feet and I did get there, albeit nearly four hours later.
  • I talked to the main coach, Ramon, on Saturday and shared with him my thoughts. I won't lie to you all, I am nervous about this marathon. If I felt pain around mile 16 or 18, I'm scared what type of pain I will feel when I'm done. I'm fairly certain I will have tears, mixed emotions and pain. He looked me in the eyes and said in his thick Spanish accent, "You will finish. It is normal to have doubt." That made me feel a WHOLE lot better.

Now I am here. The last three weeks of practice. Wow, I'm surprised at how nervous I am right now with just typing those words. Phew. Oh, and I need to raise $1500 to reach my dream goal of $10K.

3 comments:

Sheets said...

So far you have run a million miles more than I ever will! You can totally do it... and when you're running in 3 weeks and get filled with even a smidgeon of doubt... I will be there with a sign to remind you that YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

archana said...

eeeks, your posts make ME nervous! haha, way to convey emotion. huuuuge congrats on hitting such a big milestone. and i echo sheets' thoughts -- you can and you WILL finish! :)

Scorps1027 said...

wow, you almost raised 10k for this! i am so impressed by your tenacity and heart, chai!!!